Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hey everybody!
Matt and I in the elevator before the class

Well, today was a big day for us! We had our injection class, and it was actually really fun(we did however get to use a "rubber tummy" so I doubt doing the real thing will be that fun!) First, they took us up to a little classroom and showed us a slideshow that was all about the IVF process. We learned exactly what they would be doing during the cycle, and gave us the hard copy of our calender. She then went over all of our medications, discussed what the 7 am labs and ultrasounds will be like, and went over how the retrieval and transfer days will go. Then, the fun part stared...
 All the fun stuff we got to play with
Me learning how to use Follitism, which is one of my
 most common injections that comes in pen form

She gave us one of all the medications we will be getting, and all the needles and alcohol pads. She gave us our "rubber tummy" and went over exactly how we will be giving my injections. All the medications use different types and sizes of needles. We have to mix some of the medications ourselves, and others come premixed in a pen that we just set our dosage and inject. She went step by step with us, and we were allowed to actually follow along and give the injections ourselves. Being able to prepare, and give the injections to the rubber tummy ourselves, made the shots seem much less intimidating. Matt enjoyed taking pictures of me mixing the medications, and learning how to inject the different sized needles. He would help me when I needed it, but sit back and watch when I seemed determined. We had a great time learning this scary process together.
 Apparently I was very focused on mixing my meds
...ignore the double chin ;)
The "rubber tummy" that bravely took all my injections for me ;)

Although we had a good time learning all of this, we also got a ton of paperwork..our medication order, our hard copy calender, our consent forms, paperwork on where to inject all of the medications, how to prepare for retrieval and transfer days, and oh so much more. I spent the first two hours after getting home from the class trying to decipher my med order, and another hour after that on making my calender for the next six weeks. Our medications are being ordered on Wednesday, and should be here by the end of the week, and we officially start the IVF cycle two weeks from yesterday. As we stood in the elevator on the way out of the doctor's, Matt asked "are you ready for this?" I told him I was until I got all this paperwork! Of course, now I am a little overwhelmed. II think it is finally hitting me that this is actually happening! The nurse we were working with today refused to say "if you get pregnant"...instead she says "when you get pregnant." I loved that, and it makes me feel like this is going to all be worth it. Well, i'll just leave you with all that information that is currently circling around in my mind!

Until next time!

Torie

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! It will be worth it although there will be moments in the next weeks that will have you questioning it at times! Try to get it as organized as you can than try to go on with life as normal!

    ReplyDelete