Thursday, December 12, 2013

8 little eggs

Hey guys!

So we had our egg retrieval yesterday! You know what that means? That means no more sticking my stomach with needles!!! Now, although this is exciting, I would be more excited if I didn't have to stick needles in my butt every night now! Anyways, back to the egg retrieval..

My nurse emailed me on Monday, and told me that retrieval was pushed up to Wednesday, and that it was time to do this! Of course, I was excited to have one less day of meds than we planned, and that this was finally happening. So we showed up at the clinic at 10, and they took us back to the changing/waiting room. I got dressed in my lovely hospital clothes(shown below), and then we sat and waited for the nurse to come put my iv in. She came in and had me sign all my consent forms, and then put my iv in, and told me not to be nervous. Then we waited a little more. After about 15 minutes, the anesthesiologist came in and asked questions about my previous experiences with anesthesia(which I don't have any) and then walked me back to use the bathroom, and then to the operating room.

 Yea, these are real cute pictures ;)
Signing the consent forms.

Now, I was SO incredibly nervous to be put under. Out of everything involved with IVF, this is what I was most anxious about. So as soon as I got into the operating room, I started to freak out. Right after I got on the table, The anesthesiologist said "I'm going to start putting the medication in your iv now."   Literally two minutes later, the room started to spin. I thought to myself.."maybe I should ask if that is normal." That is the last thing I remember.

The next thing I knew, Matt was holding my hand and I opened my eyes to see him looking at me. It took me a few minutes to wake up, and I remember them coming to get my heart rate and blood pressure(and of course I was no help being half asleep and all).
Matt thought it was fun to take pictures of 
me while I was still under...

The first question I asked when I woke up was how many eggs they got. Matt asked the nurse and she said we got 8 eggs. She said not to worry over the number, because the quality matters more than the quantity. Once I woke up enough to stand up, they moved me to a big chair and Matt fed me juice and crackers to make sure the medication wasn't making me sick. After sitting there for about 20 minutes, the let me put my clothes back on and go home.

Attempting to smile while I was still half asleep.

So that was our big adventure for the day. I spent the rest of my afternoon laying in bed with a heating pad and the t.v. on. I had my sweet puppy dog keeping me company, and a husband who was doing everything he could to help. I was pretty sore all day yesterday, but I am feeling much better today!

After tossing and turning all night last night, we got the call this morning that 7 of our 8 little eggs made it through fertilization! Now, I know that many of you don't understand how exciting that is, but just trust me! Matt and I felt this huge wait lift off of our shoulders, as we celebrated this achievement. We have 7 little babies growing strong in a petri dish right now. The nurse will call us again on Saturday to tell us how many are still growing, and again on Monday to hopefully set up transfer!

Ill be back on to tell you all what ends up happening!

Until next time.

Torie

No comments:

Post a Comment